A little more than a week after Sandy, many of us are still recovering.
As it turns, Mother Nature had a little more up her sleeve- with the recent Nor’Easter coating the area… Snow! Winter is clearly right around the corner…. Awesome for shredding, but for people who have no power, lost homes, belongings, and/or are displaced, the notion of an early winter is less than ideal.
One of the many things to love about this city, is that when times get tough, people start asking, “How can I help?” If you’re looking for a way you can pitch in…
Here are some ideas:
- THIS WEEKEND– Support STOKED to Overcome Sandy. Get on the OvRride bus Saturday, November 10th to get your hands dirty and help the post-Sandy recovery efforts in the Rockaways. More details about how you can donate, sponsor and serve at STOKED.org.
- Many affected by Sandy are left without clothes or furniture. Donate items to the Salvation Army.
- Send a text message with the word “STORM” to 80888, and confirm the donation with the word, “Yes” to automatically donate $10 to the Salvation Army.
- Make a monetary donation to the The American Red Cross Hurricane Disaster relief. You can send a text to 90999 with the word “STORM” to donate $10 as well.
- To make donations to help in NYC relief efforts specifically… go to NYC.gov
- Get the latest on the relief effort, donate and help out at Waves for Water– they’re doing an amazing job documenting the efforts and making a difference in the coastal communities of NY and NJ. Proceeds made here go directlyto help local victims.
- Rockaway Relief organization– find them on Facebook to see how you can help, volunteer and find drop off locations.
- Occupy Sandy NYC is another group you can find Facebook to find out where you can help across NYC- there are various ways you can help and connect with other volunteers.
- Donate warm clothing, have a little fun, and maybe even score some prizes… This Sunday, November 11th, the annual NYSG Gear Swap & Chill Fundraising event
Chill is an organization dedicated to using snowboarding to reach under-served youth, teaching them important life skills like patience, persistence and courage. This gear swap event will not only benefit their program, but allow them to use their platform as a longtime trusted local charity, to bring donations to Sandy victims
Need to make space for new gear? Bring your clothing donations to the gear swap and they will be sent directly to help Sandy victims stay warm! Prepare your “First Days” of the season… Bring your boards, beanies or anything shred related to sell, swap or donate!
A $10 donation gets you into the event, FREE beer and 2 raffle tickets. All proceeds go to The Chill Foundation. Prizes include 686 outerwear, Electric Goggles or possibly a new snowboard! There will also be auctions with donated services such as Yoga, Pilates, cooking lessons, Snowboarding lessons, Trips from OvRride & more.
We hope this has inspired you… now go on and do some good while we wait for snow.